Monday, October 13, 2008

Rumm Rumm Good




My local libations expert, Bartender Rick, often lets me sample new and interesting drinks at my local hang out, Happy Ending. (Look for reviews of other real men drinks like Scotch, Whiskeys, and my personal favorite, Cognac) This weekend I tried an old recipe for a new rum that recently made its way to market, Sailor Jerry's Spiced Naval Rum.

Sailor Jerry is a Spiced Caribbean rum blended with 5 spices including ginger, cinnamon, clove, vanilla and an infusion of natural lime. It is based on an original recipe created by famous tattoo artist Sailor Jerry Collins. Known the world over, Sailor Jerry Collins (1911-1971) was famous for two things; his trademark solid, bright and neat tattooing and his own blend of spiced rum.





Searching through his personal papers and his vast collection of tattoos after his death in the seventies the original recipe for his blend of rum was found. According to Sailor Jerry's website, "other rums are panty-waisted, soul-less and ball-less in comparison." I wouldn't go that far but I do agree and it is definitely an upgrade to The Captain, and many other overly sweet rums. At 92 proof and with a touch of sweetness, Sailor Jerry is excellent on the rocks. I also tried it in a Cuba Libre and have to admit it definitely deserves high marks!

Il Padrone approves greatly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online